Every. Stinking. Year. I make plans and dream about what summer will bring. “How amazing would it be to throw a summer soiree with friends in our little backyard?” “How perfect would another trip to the Bahamas be?” “What if I finally learned to surf?” “Let’s go on a Kayaking trip!!” The list goes on and on. Some things are costly, but being so-called “high-brow” is definitely not the point or the goal. There are free and cheap activities that I would love to do (in fact, those are sometimes the most gratifying). It’s less about how “glamorous” the desires are, and more about us actually getting out and doing them. Participating in life is a huge–dare I say– resolution that I have tried to hold fast to this new year. I’d call this the perfect place to start.
This year I’m setting out a written list of things I’d like to see happen this summer. And since it’s been a while since I’ve discussed things exclusive to the Jacksonville/Jacksonville Beach area, I figured it would be fun to share my list with those of you who are local. No more missed opportunities! It’s time to take full advantage of this incredible town.
A little break down for everyone:
- Since getting our home in working order, we have hosted a few minor events/get togethers for Colt’s work, and loved it. Given the gorgeous weather we have around here in the summer, I thought it would be awesome to do a classic, summer BBQ/gathering for friends that can make it, in the central and north florida area. Cohosting it with a girlfriend of mine would make decisions and other execution details easier/ much more fun.
- Since Florida has such conducive weather to produce farming, visiting a pick-your-own farm would be a neat, change-of-pace activity that yields some rather yummy results! Places like Cypress Cattle & Produce Co. , Tuten Farms, and Andrew Sod’s Fruit & Veggies have really peaked my interest! The local produce world is still quite difficult to navigate, but seems to be making strides to become more accessible to nearby restaurants and pedestrians.
- Personal favorite spots for local paddle board rental/gear are Jax Surf & Paddle and North Guana Outpost.
- This one’s fairly self-explanatory… But I’ve seen some excellent backyard garden tips and ideas here, here, and here!
- I’ve wanted to use the Beach Trolly for a while now.. it seems like it would be fun to make a day of it.
- I saw a flyer for this festival while browsing for local concerts last week. I have struggled to find more info on this event, but given the origin and reputation of the Salt Life Company, I think this would be a neat festival to attend. More info to come at: jaxbeachfestivals.com .
- So, Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails is, supposedly, a big deal around this city. I’ve talked to several people recently that enjoy this spot’s menu and atmosphere, and I thought it would be neat to try out with a group of friends.
- Farmer’s markets have always been a fun activity for me, having grown up near Winter Park, FL and enjoying their weekly market, often. Jacksonville has a few great ones, downtown and near the beach, but a particular location (Marineland, near St. Augustine) peaked my interest. Right on the water, filled with fruits, veggies, music, jewelry, honey, flowers, smoothies and more, The Salt Air Farmer’s Market has definitely a “biggie” on my summer to-do list.
- Now. Given that we live, literally, at the beach and there is a crazy number of yoga studios around, I figured that finding a place that offered yoga on the beach (perhaps at sunrise or something cool like that) would be super easy. Not so! I may have to look in to getting my own group together and having a little “amateur yoga hour” on the beach near our place. So be it!
That’s about it for my initial list! Any suggestions are always welcome! I’d love to hear what some of your summer goals are.